Mumbai, May 28 (PTI) Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today advocated the need to revise academic syllabus every five years to bring it in line with the industry requirements.”In general, citys planning should be considered every ten years. Similarly, academic syllabus should be revised every five years,” Fadnavis said.The chief minister expressed his views on academic syllabus planning, amendment in new university laws, availability of employment due to change in apprenticeship laws while addressing people of the state through his weekly programme Mee Mukhyamantri Boltoy.Fadnavis said there is an urgent need to see that the university syllabus has a connect with the need of the industry.He said school, junior college and degree college syllabus cannot be revised as university syllabus has not been revised.The chief minister emphasised that there should be aptitude tests for students so that they can choose a proper career option.”If we want good sportsmen in our state, we should encourage sports in schools and colleges. Every school must have a sports ground,” he said.He further said that Maharashtra has maximum number of apprentices after the change in rules.Till date about eight lakh students have received hands on training under the apprenticeship programme, he said.Fadnavis said it is the need of the hour to have practical knowledge and experience along with theoretical knowledge. PTI MM RMT
Moscow, Aug 31 (PTI) It may be by driven by a strong desire to keep excelling on the big stage, but Indias 30- member shotgun shooting team will face one of its biggest tests in the ISSF World Championships, starting here tomorrow. The International Shooting Sport Federation tournament in the Russian capital will be an opportunity for shotgun shooters from across the world to qualify for the prestigious World Cup Finals, slated to be held in New Delhi in October. The medal winners in each of the five disciplines will secure their places in the World Cup Finals. As far as Indian shotgun shooting is concerned, only Ankur Mittal has managed to qualify for the New Delhi tournament, riding on his silver and gold medals in the seasons first two World Cups in the Indian capital and Acapulco, Mexico. The teams for trap and double trap have been boosted by the return of longtime coach Marcello Dradi, who joined the team here on Tuesday after being stuck in Italy owing to visa issues. Mittal, a double trap specialist, will be gunning for another podium finish, having won a gold medal at the Asian Shotgun Championships in Astana, Kazakhstan, earlier this month. He will be shooting in the double trap event alongside Sangram Dahiya and Mohammad Asab. The mens trap team will be spearheaded by 26-year-old Kynan Chenai, who recently bagged his first international medal at the senior level – a bronze at the 7th Asian Shotgun Championship. Kynans teammates in the discipline will be Zoravar Singh Sandhu and Birendeep Singh. As has been in the case in recent times, Mairaj Ahmad Khan will be Indias best bet in skeet, with young Rashmee Rathore rising up the ranks gradually. While Mairaj is an experienced campaigner, having also represented India at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, Rathores morale will be high after combining with Mariraj to win her first international medal – a gold – in what was billed as a test event in Astana. Having tasted success in Asia, Rathore has now set her sights on the World Championships, which concludes on September 10. In Astana only, Maheshwari Chauhan scripted history by becoming the first Indian to win an individual medal in womens skeet at an international event. While securing a bronze in the individual event, the young shooter also led India to a team silver alongside compatriots Rathore and Saniya Sheikh. In mens skeet, India will be represented by Angad Vir Singh Bajwa and Sheeraz Sheikh, besides Mairaj. Coming back to the double trap discipline, the Indian trio of Ankur, Sangram and Asab clinched the team gold with a total of 415 in Astana, and they will certainly look to carry on the momentum. In the womens trap, India will be represented by Rajeshwari Kumari, Shreyasi Singh and Seema Tomar. The biggest hopes in the junior section will be 15-year- old Shapath Bharadwaj, apart from Manavaditya Singh Rathore, Lakshay and Anant Jeet Singh Naruka (skeet). India have so far won three medals at the shotgun World Championships. Dr. Karni Singh won a trap silver in the 1962 event, which was followed by Rajyavardhan Singh Rathores double trap bronze in 2003 and Manavjit Singh Sandhus trap gold in 2006. Multiple Olympian champion in womens skeet shooting, Kimberly Rhode of the United States of America and the Italian duo of Gabriele Rossetti and Diana Bacosi (both won gold mens and womens skeet respectively at Rio) are few of the big names bracing up to compete in the tournament. For the first time, the ISSF in collaboration with the organisers has made arrangements for live telecast of all the events in the competition. Squad: Trap: Men: Kynan Chenai, Zoravar Singh Sandhu, Birendeep Sodhi. Juniors: Lakshay, Manavaditya Singh Rathore, Akash Saharan. Women: Rajeshwari Kumari, Shreyasi Singh, Seema Tomar. Juniors: Soumya Gupta, Manisha Keer, Nivetha Nenthirasigamani. Double trap: Men: Sangram Dahiya, Ankur Mittal, Mohd. Asab. Juniors: Shapath Bharadwaj, Ahvar Rizvi, Shardul Vihan. Skeet: Men: Angad Vir Singh Bajwa, Mairaj Ahmad Khan, Sheeraz Sheikh. Juniors: Arjun Singh Mann, Anant Jeet Singh Naruka, Hamza Sheikh. Women: Maheshwari Chauhan, Rashmmi Rathore, Saniya Sheikh. Juniors: Simranpreet Kaur, Areeba Khan, Ganemat Sekhon. PTI AH AT ATadvertisement
“I like to speak for the water because the water doesn’t have a voice,” said Peltier. “If nobody speaks up what will the water and environment be like in 10 to 20 years? What if we don’t have clean drinking water anywhere? We would all die if we didn’t have clean drinking water.”Peltier said she hopes others will join in her struggle to protect water around the world.“The reason I advocate for this is to inspire people to come together and try and purify the water,” said Peltier.She still remembers that day last December when she got her moment to speak directly to Trudeau. In an interview shortly after it happened Peltier described the encounter.“When I went up there, I was standing with the Elder, listening to what he was saying and I was told to give the prime minister the water bundle,” Peltier said, at the time. “And I said something to him. I said, ‘I am very unhappy with the choices you’ve made.’ And he said, ‘I understand that.’ And I started crying and all I got to say after that was, ‘the pipelines.’”Looking back, Peltier, who is from Wikwemikong, on Manitoulin Island in Ontario, said she didn’t know what she was going to tell the prime minister at the time and the words just tumbled out.“When I went up to give him the gift I didn’t what I was going to do. I just had this feeling. I guess my spirit just wanted to say something while I was there and it was an opportunity to just say it,” said Peltier. “When I think about what I said I am just trying to help my people and help my environment and it makes me feel proud.”The KidsRights organization will announce the winner of the prize Nov. [email protected]@JorgeBarrera Autumn Peltier, flanked by AFN National Chief Perry Bellegarde and AFN Elder Elmer Courchene presents a water bundle to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in December 2016.Jorge Barrera APTN NewsAutumn Peltier, a 13-year-old Wikwemikong girl who tearfully pleaded with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to protect the water is up for an international award.Autumn Peltier’s name came to be known across the country after she presented Trudeau with a water bundle of a copper bowl, a red cloth, tobacco and a small copper cup during an Assembly of First Nations meeting in December 2016. During the gift presentation, Peltier told Trudeau she was “unhappy” with his decision to approve the Kinder Morgan pipeline in British Columbia.Now Peltier is up for the International Children’s Peace Prize, known as the Nobel Prize for children. She is the only child out of 169 nominees from Canada.“When I found out that I was nominated for the award I was really excited and I am really excited to find out if I win or not,” said Peltier. “If I don’t win I am still really happy to be doing the work I am doing.”Peltier has dedicated herself to campaigning for water protection. This past July she was in Regina during the AFN’s general assembly to sign a treaty against the expansion of Alberta’s bitumen fields.
the open burning of any material (piled or unpiled) smaller than two metres high and three metres wide; andstubble or grass fires over an area smaller than 2,000 square metres.The prohibition does not apply to Category 3 fires or campfires that are a half-metre high by a half-metre wide or smaller, nor to cooking stoves that use gas, propane or briquettes. Anyone lighting a campfire must maintain a fireguard by removing flammable debris from around the campfire area and have a hand tool or at least eight litres of water available nearby to properly extinguish the fire.Anyone found in contravention of an open burning prohibition may be issued a violation ticket for $1,150, required to pay an administrative penalty of $10,000 or, if convicted in court, fined up to $100,000 and/or sentenced to one year in jail. If the contravention causes or contributes to a wildfire, the person responsible may be ordered to pay all firefighting and associated costs.To report a wildfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, go to: http://www.bcwildfire.ca PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – Category 2 open burns will be prohibited throughout the Prince George Fire Centre and that includes all of northeast B.C.The prohibition will take effect at 12 p.m. on Thursday May 23 and will remain in effect until the public is notified.Category 2 fire is considered one of the following:
New Delhi: In a bid to curb fake news during the general elections, WhatsApp and NASSCOM Foundation on Monday came together to impart digital literacy training. As part of the partnership, WhatsApp and NASSCOM Foundation will train nearly 1,00,000 Indians to spot false information and provide tips and tricks to stay safe on WhatsApp. The co-created curriculum, which includes real-world anecdote tools that can be used to verify a forwarded message and actions that users can take like reporting problematic content to fact checkers and other law enforcement agencies, will be disseminated in multiple regional languages. Also Read – Swiggy now in 500 Indian cities, targets 100 more this year “We are excited to expand our partnerships with civil society to advance crucial digital literacy skills that can help combat misinformation share on WhatsApp,” Abhijit Bose, Head of India, WhatsApp, said in a statement. “This training educates people throughout India to be mindful of the messages they receive and to verify the facts before forwarding,” he added. The training will be imparted by volunteers from NASSCOM Foundation who will launch the “each one teach three” campaign that mandates every volunteer to share their learnings with three more persons leading to a network effect. Also Read – New HP Pavilion x360 notebook with in-built Alexa in India These volunteers will post their takeaways from the workshops on their social media handles to increase the reach of these safety messages. The first training will be on March 27 in Delhi and will be followed by more planned interventions like hosting training workshops for representatives from rural and urban areas along with roadshows across numerous colleges. “The use of technology platforms like WhatsApp are inherently meant to foster social good, harmony, and collaboration, but are sadly being used by a small number of miscreants to entice anger and hatred by spreading false and doctored information,” Ashok Pamidi, CEO, NASSCOM Foundation, said. “I would like to urge all the connected citizens who want to join this fight against the spread of fake information, to come and help volunteer towards the cause,” Pamidi added. Aspiring volunteers can register at www.mykartavya.nasscomfoundation.org NASSCOM Foundation is the social arm of the industry body, National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM).
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Thursday issued a show-cause notice to Mayawati over her speech in Deoband appealing to Muslims not to vote for a particular party, finding that the BSP chief had prima facie violated the model code of conduct. The chief electoral officer Sunday had sought a report from Saharanpur district administration on Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati’s speech during the joint SP-BSP-RLD rally in Deoband. Chief Electoral Officer L Venkateshwarlu had received several complaints and he sought a report from the district administration on the issue. The commission, in its notice to Mayawati, said prima facie it is of the opinion that the BSP chief has violated provisions of the model code of conduct. It also asked Mayawati to explain her stand regarding her statement. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The EC said she should give an explanation within 24 hours of receiving the notice otherwise it would take its decision without making any further reference to her. State BJP vice president J P S Rathore had also written to the chief electoral officer, alleging that appealing to Muslims not to vote for a particular party amounts to fanning religious passion and is a hindrance in holding free and fair polls. During the rally Sunday, Mayawati said the Congress was busy dividing the votes and cautioned the gathering to guard against any such attempt. “In western UP, where people of all communities live…in Saharanpur, Bareilly, where there is a huge Muslim population…I want to tell the Muslim community…don’t divide your votes…give it to the BSP, SP and RLD alliance,” she had said.
Embed Code More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS | Embed 4.) Bruce from Maryland suggests:The first 10 picks are assigned by placement in an essay contest for basketball fans in ~4th grade to ~8th grade. 500 words or less on an appropriate subject (not necessarily sports related) that would be announced at the All-Star break. All teams eligible, regardless of standings. The rest of the picks are in the order of finish from worst to first.The kids send their essay to a judging panel along with which team they would like to have the draft pick if they win (so no team gets more than one of the picks). The chosen 10 kids are invited to the draft order revealing show that replaces the lottery show, and they all have envelopes revealing their favorite team (not necessarily by geography). They are all called up in reverse order of finish, which they do not know at the time, and reveal the team they chose.I’m still unsure whether this is an earnest proposal or not. I choose to believe that it is. This would be wonderful. That’s the only con I can think of, too. Seeing Daryl Morey on a trampoline would be pretty fun. 3.) Adam from Madison, Wisconsin, suggests:If you miss the playoffs 10 years in a row your team moves to Seattle. 76ers fans would definitely start getting nervous after about year 5. Forces teams to attempt to be good or at least plan on being good quickly. Oh, man, I hope Seattle gets a team back sooner than this. But I like the idea of fans in the Emerald City actively rooting for a random team to be awful. 5.) Dave from Toledo, Ohio, suggests: Get rid of the draft. Actually, get rid of the NBA. Boom. No more tanking.It’s been right in front of us this whole time! For the last 10 days, our sports podcast, “Hot Takedown,” has been running a crowdsourcing project, soliciting ideas for ways to change the NBA draft and prevent teams from deliberately tanking their seasons in pursuit of better picks. Almost 7,000 people have submitted their ideas thus far, and I am slowly working my way through them. It’s pretty intense.We’ll announce our winner on next week’s podcast — a winner chosen from among the many very serious and thoughtful proposals. This is not an article about those. This is an article about our six favorite weird ideas.The proposals, in reverse order of how much we like them: 6.) Aaron from Spokane, Washington, suggests:To fix the tanking problem, I propose a system where the GM of every NBA team participates in a round-robin HORSE tournament. The GM with the most wins gets the first selection in the draft, followed by the GM with the second most wins, and so on. If more than one GM finishes the tournament with the same score, the tie will be broken by a trampoline dunk contest judged by Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.Pros:Removing the teams’ regular season performances from the equation eliminates tanking.GMs would have an incentive to become ballers. Also, there would be a great incentive for former players to become GMs.Whoever picked up the TV rights to this event would enjoy a ratings bonanza. Cons:Larry Bird and Magic Johnson might be busy. If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong. 2.) Andrew from Sarasota Springs, Florida, suggests:The bottom three teams would be relegated to English League 2 Football where they would have to play a year of soccer in towns like Accrington and Morecambe. Upon their return from a year in the (lovely) English wilderness, they would be guaranteed picks 1-3 based on their finishing order in League 2.Pros: hilarity of seeing NBA players play soccer; more media attention for League 2 matches; arguably players would gain new forms of fitness and stamina; Carmelo Anthony adopting an affected English accent; more demand for Brazilian players in trades.Cons: may stunt development of early career players; Maroon 5, Keith Urban, and Billy Joel would each need to play approximately 75 more stadium shows a year to make up lost revenue. Andrew has thought it all through perfectly. 1.) Bob in New Orleans, Louisiana, suggests:Each team is required to bring a fish to the lottery ceremony. Each one has to be a different species (salmon, tuna, etc), and release it into a pool. Then, Adam Silver will ride a bear into the pool, and the fish that the bear eats first wins the lottery. If the bear eats Adam Silver, then it goes by worst-record first.I would watch what should be called The Tank Tank in an instant. It’s simple, it’s elegant, it has a hint of danger. Bob doesn’t even mention that some bears would be ravenous, having recently emerged from hibernation. But has he really considered all the implications? What kind of bear? Who gets what fish? Do teams get to select or is it randomly assigned? If Silver is riding a grizzly, the team with the river salmon would have a much better chance of winning. But if your team is represented by an Arctic char or fourhorn sculpin, everyone knows you’ll want Silver to be riding a polar bear.Keep listening to “Hot Takedown” for updates, and next week we will announce our (real) winner! By Jody Avirgan