iStock/Thinkstock(SANTA FE, Tx.) — At least ten people are dead after a student allegedly opened fire at Santa Fe High School in Texas Friday morning, sending students fleeing for their lives, said Texas Governor Greg Abbott.Ten others were wounded, including a police officer, officials said.Gov. Abbott called the shooting “one of the most heinous attacks that we’ve seen in the history of Texas schools.”The suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, is in custody and has been charged with capital murder, officials said. The suspect allegedly wrote in journals that he wanted to carry out the shooting and then commit suicide, but he gave himself up to authorities, according to Abbott.A second individual, a person of interest, has been detained, officials said.Two weapons were used in the massacre — a shotgun and a .38 revolver — both of which appear to be legally owned by the suspect’s father, the governor said.“I have no information if the father was aware the son had taken these weapons from the father,” Abbott added.Explosive devices were also found at the school, and devices including a Molotov cocktail were found in a car and a home, authorities said.Community members are warned to be on the lookout for suspicious items, officials said.Friday morning’s shooting took place in an art class, witnesses said, ABC station KTRK in Houston reported.“I heard the [fire] alarms and everybody ran out,” tenth-grader Dakota Shrader told KTRK. “At first all we heard was ‘run, run,’ and next thing you know we hear, ‘boom, boom, boom.’” “Everybody started running,” she said, “and I tried to make it to the safest place that I could as fast as I can. I called my mom right away.”“She couldn’t breathe, she was having an asthma attack,” her mom added. “I didn’t even know where to find her.” As students lined up outside the building, ambulances, helicopters and federal agents swarmed the school in Santa Fe, between Galveston and Houston. “I’m scared to even go back,” said one student, crying. “It’s just not something that you should feel throughout the day, being scared. Especially somewhere where we say the Pledge of Allegiance.”“It has been happening everywhere. I wasn’t surprised it happened here,” one student told KTRK. “I was just scared. I just kept running.” Friday’s shooting comes three months after the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting that killed 17 students and staff. The Parkland massacre prompted a massive, youth-led push for school safety and gun reform.Just last month students at Santa Fe High School participated in a nationwide school walkout against school gun violence. The walkout was held on April 20 — the anniversary of the 1999 Columbine High School massacre that killed 13.A Santa Fe student said they read poems by a Parkland survivor, held 17 minutes of silence in honor of the 17 people killed in Parkland, and discussed ways they could raise gun violence awareness and make their voices heard. School shootings have “been going on too long in our country,” President Trump said Friday from the White House.“Too many years, too many decades now, we grieve for the terrible loss of life and send our support and love to everyone affected by this absolutely horrific attack,” he said.“My prayers are with each student, parent, educator and first responder impacted,” Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said in a statement. “Our schools must be safe and nurturing environments for learning. No student should have to experience the trauma suffered by so many today and in similar events prior.”“We simply cannot allow this trend to continue,” she said. “Every day, the Federal Commission on School Safety is working to identify proven ways to prevent violence and keep our students safe at school. Our work remains urgent. Our nation must come together and address the underlying issues that lead to such tragic and senseless loss of life.”Gov. Greg Abbott ordered Texas’ flags to fly at half-staff across the state.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Donegal TD Pat the Cope Gallagher has strongly criticised the government for having a lack of understanding of rural community needs after revealing that €270 million is still unspent on improvement schemes. The Fianna Fail TD calculated, from parliamentary question replies, that €270M which was sanctioned for 2017-2019 rural schemes and LEADER funding had not been spent by the end of August.The rural schemes include the Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure scheme; Town & Village Renewal scheme; CLÁR, the Local Improvement Scheme (LIS), the Rural Regeneration fund and LEADER. “Taking funds allocated to key rural improvement schemes over the period 2017-2019 there is an unspent balance of €111m alone. In the region of €56m still remains on departmental funds allocated to the Town & Village Renewal scheme and the Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme going back two years,” Deputy Gallagher said. “Yet, the numbers get worse. The much-heralded Rural Regeneration fund was launched 14 months ago with €52m allocated for 2019. To date, just €4.1m in project funding released by the Department, representing an underspend of 92%. This type of funding would be urgently required in many areas throughout Donegal..Deputy Gallagher added: “There are just 16 months remaining in the current 2014-2020 LEADER programme which is a key Rural Development Programme. However, despite €250m allocated to the seven-year programme, €159m remains unspent or 72% of total funds.”Deputy Gallagher slammed the underspend as poor planning by government. He said: “It is regrettable that funding on the levels such as these schemes, cannot be properly spent in a well-planned and timely fashion, what we will witness now is a rush to spend money and to commit the funding, which will lead to poor planning in some cases and a greater chance of the funding being wasted.”Deputy Gallagher is calling for counties such as Donegal to be prioritised for Rural Ireland spending as the €270million funding is allocated.‘Shocking’ €270M underspend revealed on rural schemes was last modified: September 18th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Ex-Arsenal striker Smith: Cahill not the signing Emery needsby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Arsenal striker Alan Smith says they should ignore the chance of signing Chelsea captain Gary Cahill.Cahill was heavily linked with the Gunners before he signed for Chelsea from Bolton in January 2012.“Arsenal should have signed Gary Cahill before he went to Chelsea,” Smith told the Daily Express.“He spoke and had a meeting with Arsene Wenger and it didn’t happen.“But he went on to become a fine, fine defender.“Now you’d be signing somebody who’s in his latter years and is not at his peak.“I don’t see that as a goer.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
LEAMINGTON, Ont. — Marijuana producer Aphria Inc. says its board of directors has appointed a special committee of independent directors to review the company’s acquisition of LATAM Holdings Inc., which has been criticized by short-sellers.The company says it remains confident in the deal, but in the face of what it called “inaccurate and misleading accusations” by the short-sellers it is undertaking the comprehensive review.Quintessential Capital Management and Hindenburg Research have alleged that the cannabis grower’s acquisition of assets in Colombia, Argentina and Jamaica totalling $280 million from Scythian Biosciences were “largely worthless.”The special committee includes John Herhalt, Shlomo Bibas and Tom Looney.Herhalt, who is the lead independent director and the head of the audit committee, will lead the special committee.Shares in the company, which plunged in the wake of the allegations, were up about 32 per cent or $1.63 at $6.63 in trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange today.The Canadian Press
Corrigan says the city has asked its legal counsel to file the appeal application within 60 days.He says in a news release that the Federal Court of Appeal did not give consideration to arguments made by Burnaby and the provincial government.The Federal Court of Appeal dismissed Burnaby’s application without reasons, but Corrigan says the judges should have explained why the provincial government was not being allowed to protect B.C.’s environmental interests.(THE CANADIAN PRESS) BURNABY, B.C. – The City of Burnaby is turning to Canada’s highest court in the dispute over construction of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline.Mayor Derek Corrigan says the city intends to ask the Supreme Court of Canada to consider a lower court decision that denied Burnaby leave to appeal a ruling by the National Energy Board.That ruling allowed Kinder Morgan to bypass local bylaws during construction of the pipeline expansion, which will triple the amount of diluted bitumen and other oil products moving between the Edmonton-area and port facilities in Burnaby.
Bengaluru: The Congress will contest 20 seats and JD(S) eight in the Lok Sabha polls in Karnataka under a deal finalised by the two ruling coalition partners on Wednesday after weeks of haggling.The deal was hammered out at a meeting between Congress president Rahul Gandhi and JD(S) secretary general Danish Ali at Kochi in Kerala this evening, the JDS said. The Lok Sabha constituencies that JD(S) will contest are Uttara Kannada, Chikkamagaluru, Shivamogga, Tumkur, Hassan, Mandya, Bengaluru North and Vijayapura. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!JD(S) tweeted about the constituencies from where its candidates will be contesting from, on its official twitter handle. “@INCIndia @JanataDal_S seat sharing for Karnataka #LokSabhaPolls2019 is confirmed. 20 for Congress and 8 for JDS,” Karnataka Pradesh Congress President Dinesh Gundu Rao said. JD(S) had won Hassan and Mandya Lok Sabha seats in the 2014 general election. The Congress had bagged nine and BJP 17. However in the bypolls, the BJP had yielded the Bellary seat to Congress. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedDuring a recent meeting with Rahul Gandhi at New Delhi, JD(S) supremo H D Deve Gowda had scaled down his party’s demand and asked the national party to allot at least 10 out of the 28 Lok Sabha seats. The JD(S) had earlier demanded that it be given 12 seats to contest, banking on two-third, one-third formula adopted in ministry formation and allocation of posts of heads of state-run boards and corporations. According to party sources, JD(S) bagged Tumkur seat after a hard bargain as the grand old party had decided not to cede the constituencies where the party has a sitting MP to the regional partner. The Congress’ S P Muddahanumegowda is current MP from Tumkur, and is a ticket aspirant. Mysore-Kodagu was another constituency that JD(S) had demanded from the old Mysuru region, but could not bag it due to opposition from Congress Legislature Party leader Siddaramaiah as the seat is in his home turf,the sources said. Sharing of seats from old Mysuru region was an acid test for both the parties as the JD(S) considers it as its bastion, and the Congress has its sitting members from most of the seats there. The Congress and JD(S), which fought bitterly against each other during 2018 assembly polls, joined hands to form the government as the election threw up a hung verdict. Among the eight seats that JD(S) has got, in Hassan and Mandya the party has its sitting MPs, Tumkur is with Congress, rest five constituencies are represented by the BJP. While the KPCC chief Wednesday said the party will announce its first list of candidates on March 16, JD(S) is too likely to announce its list in a couple of days.
Shimla: BJP President Amit Shah Sunday said Article 370 that gives special powers to Kashmir will be scrapped if Narendra Modi is elected as prime minister again. Addressing his first rally at Chogan Maidan in Chamba district, Shah said former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah said there should be another prime minister for the state whereas Congress in its manifesto declared it will review AFSPA in Kashmir and amend provisions of sedition law. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework All this indicated their mindset but if the BJP comes to power again and Modi becomes prime minister, Article 370 will be removed for sure, he added. The BJP chief is campaigning in support of Kangra BJP candidate Kishan Kapoor. Targeting the Congress on the issue of national security, he said the Manmohan Singh led previous Congress government did nothing when Pakistan beheaded five India soldiers but under Modi rule airstrikes were carried out in Balakot. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygen Shah pointed out that Congress leader Sam Pitroda said instead of airstrikes, “we should talk to militants”. Targeting Pitroda further, the BJP chief said, “If you ask a question regarding the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, the Congress says ‘hua to hua’. If you ask a question regarding the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai and migration of Kashmiri Pandits, Congress says ‘hua to hua.’ Shah also noted that it was for the first time that the opposition has not made corruption an issue as it has been “wiped out” during the Modi government. Counting various development works done in HP under the Modi government, Shah said, “Process is on to set up an international airport at Mandi. It will be done after Modi government comes to power again at the Centre.” HP CM Jai Ram Thakur and veteran BJP leader Shanta Kumar were present in the rally. Congress has pitted sitting MLA Pawan Kajal against HP minister Kishan Kapoor from Kangra. The BJP chief is scheduled to address two more rallies later in the day in HP’s Bilaspur and Nahan in support of BJP candidates Anurag Thakur and Suresh Kashyap from Hamirpur and Shimla Lok Sabha seats respectively.
Letter to the editor: As a basketball player at Ohio State, I am both proud and honored that our university follows our sport the way they do. It is a privilege to play for Ohio State, to be a part of winning the Big Ten Tournament this year, and to have made it to the Elite Eight. I know that athletes in other sports that do not get much press coverage are also winning championships. Just two weekends ago, Logan Stieber won his second-consecutive national championship in his weight class in wrestling, and senior Marco Canevari marked the Scarlet and Gray’s single individual champion title in fencing by securing the gold medal in men’s epee on March 22. A day later, gymnasts Sarah Miller and Aly Marohn captured the Big Ten championship on the balance beam. Last Tuesday, The Lantern featured an article in which athletic director Gene Smith talked about how Ohio State isn’t just a football school. He talked about the success of our basketball team. It would be good to remember that in the other sports, there is a lot of success too. All athletes at Ohio State work very hard at being the best they can be at their sport. I wish that all athletes could receive the attention that our football and basketball teams get. They all deserve to be celebrated. Deshaun Thomas Third-year in sports management [email protected]
April 3, 2019 KUSI Newsroom Survey reveals SoCal drivers admit to using smartphones while driving KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – April is National Distracted Driver Awareness Month. The Automobile Club of Southern California released a survey showing that 10% of adult drivers use their smartphones while driving.Drivers who are more likely to drive “in-texticated” are between 25-to-39 years old.About 10% of drivers who were in a car crash in the last five years believe smartphone distraction was a factor. Posted: April 3, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwitter