Quasielectrostatic and electrostatic approximations for whistler mode waves in the magnetospheric plasma

first_imgThree model electron distribution functions representative of the region between the plasmapause and the geostationary orbit are constructed. These models are used to compare numerical solutions of the hot electromagnetic dispersion equation with analytical solutions of the quasielectrostatic dispersion equation, and to compare numerical and analytical solutions of the electrostatic dispersion equation, for whistler mode propagation at wave normal angles θ close to the resonance cone angle θR. It is shown that the quasielectrostatic solutions are a reasonable approximation for all three models when θ θR the approximation only remains good inside the plasmapause for frequencies ω equal to 0.4 times the electron gyrofrequency Ω. For θ > θR the agreement between numerical electromagnetic and electrostatic solutions is good whenωΩ⩽ 0.6. Numerical results show that forωΩ= 0.8the solutions to the quasielectrostatic equation for large refractive index correspond to strongly damped waves for each model.last_img read more

Neon-Medeski To Return In 2018 With John Medeski, MonoNeon, Daru Jones, & More

first_imgNeon-Medeski is a collaborative project led by renowned artists, keyboardist John Medeski and eccentric bassist MonoNeon. During Jazz Fest this past spring, the project debuted at One Eyed Jacks, and after a successful performance, the group has announced that it will make its return during a late-night performance in April of 2018. In April, the lineup of Neon-Medeski will be rounded out by drummer Daru Jones, saxophonist Skerik, DJ Logic, and keyboardist Robert Walter. You can snag tickets to Neon-Medeski’s late-night performance at One Eyed Jacks on April 30th here.  [H/T JamBase]last_img read more

Chenango County hit with cyberattack

first_imgThe IT director said there is a backup of the system that could help the county restore all of their computers. The county Director of Information and Technology Herman Ericksen told 12 News the county system was attacked over the weekend. Hackers locked out employees and demanded $450 for each computer in exchange for giving back control; this is commonly known as a ransomware attack. NORWICH (WBNG) — Unable to access any of their computer network, Chenango County employees have had to come up with other solutions.center_img Ericksen said not all but most county departments were affected. He said Thursday Chenango County is not going to pay the ransoms, but rather try to rebuild the server themselves. Ericksen said the New York State Police, as well as state tech experts, and the Department of Homeland Security are currently assisting the county. There is no clear timeline on how long the cyberattack will last, and Ericksen said he didn’t know how long it would take to rebuild the system either.last_img read more

The Euro sceptic

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

HK court says media tycoon Jimmy Lai not guilty of criminal intimidation in 2017 case

first_imgA Hong Kong court declared media tycoon and pro-democracy activist Jimmy Lai not guilty of criminal intimidation on Thursday, ending one several cases against him after his high-profile arrest last month under a new national security law.Thursday’s verdict was for a case that dates back to 2017 and was unrelated to his arrest. Lai, who is a key critic of Beijing, had used foul language when confronting a reporter from Oriental Daily News, a major competitor to Lai’s tabloid Apple Daily. Police however only charged him in February this year.The mainland-born media magnate had pleaded not guilty. The national security law punishes anything China considers subversion, succession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison.Critics say it crushes freedoms, while supporters say it will bring stability after prolonged anti-China, pro-democracy protests last year.Lai’s pro-democratic Apple Daily has vied with pro-Beijing Oriental Daily for readership in the special administrative region. In 2014 Oriental Daily published a fake obituary of Lai, claiming that he had died of AIDS and many types of cancer.Prosecutors in the case said Lai had intimidated the Oriental Daily reporter.Lai’s lawyers said Lai had been followed by reporters for three years and his comments were not intended to harm the reporter but expressed his exasperation.Lai is also facing separate court cases for illegal assembly relating to anti-government protests last year. Dressed in a light grey suit and green shirt, he smiled after the verdict was read out and shook hands with supporters who filled the courtroom.His case comes after he was arrested for suspected collusion with foreign forces on August 10, making him the highest profile person to be arrested under the Beijing imposed law.The 71-year-old had been a frequent visitor to Washington, where he met officials including U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to rally support for Hong Kong democracy, prompting Beijing to label him a “traitor”After Lai’s August arrest around 200 police officers searched the office of his Apple Daily newspaper.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Antique to put up 5 new police stations

first_imgEscobar added that the local governmentunits in this town have already been requested to donate at least a 400-square-meterlot where police stations can be constructed.(With a report from PNA/PN) “We requested from Gen. Gamboa for fivepolice stations to which the general has agreed to give,” Denosta said, addingthat he would return to Manila after 15 days to follow up the request. Vice Gov. Edgar Denosta said that therequest was made to the police chief when they met him in Manila last Feb. 17. In Sibalom, for example, the formerrural health center that was used to be operated by the Office of theProvincial Agriculturist was given to the police. The said stations will be constructed inmunicipalities with no standard police establishments. Each one would cost P6million.  Towns of Sibalom, San Remigio, Anini-y, and Pandan have already been identifiedas the new locations, while the fifth one has not been decided upon. Apart from the new police station, the municipality of Pandan will also obtaina patrol car.For his part, Antique Police Provincial Deputy Director for Operations LieutenantColonel Norby Escobar said in a separate interview that the new police stationsand the patrol car for the municipality of Pandan will be beneficial for theiroperations.“We are glad to have that news,” he said.center_img Personnel of the Sibalom municipal police station occupy the former rural health center that was used by the Office of the Provincial Agriculturist. The town will be one of the five beneficiaries of the new police stations. PNA SAN JOSE, Antique – Philippine NationalPolice Chief General Archie Francisco Gamboa has approved this province’srequest to establish five new police stations in the different towns here. He noted that the towns of Sibalom, SanRemigio, Anini-y, Hamtic, Sebaste, Laua-an, and Caluya do not have their ownpolice stations and that police personnel assigned in those areas only occupyold buildings.last_img read more

Shell Building Discussed At City Council Meeting

first_imgGM Development consultant Greg Martz addresses the proposed shell building Monday night.A proposed shell building aimed at attracting a business suitor to Batesville continues to be debated and discussed among officials.Batesville Economic Development Commission President Andy Saner and Consultant Greg Martz of GM Development addressed the proposed project to Batesville City Council members Monday night.The link between the city and GM Development is labeled as a public-private partnership, allowing Batesville the majority of control over the shell building project.City Council must approve a resolution prior to moving forward with financing and other aspects of the project, indicated Martz.“The city retains final approval process, GM Development would handle the marketing piece,” Martz said. “And you will not miss any marketing opportunity, including international marketing opportunities.”During his first meeting as a city council member, Jim Fritsch inquired on the specifics of the project and the impact a shell building has had on other communities of similar size.Fritsch has experience in the construction industry, as an architect and developer of homes and small commercial buildings in Indiana since 1990.In a recently published Indianapolis Star article, Indianapolis real estate services firm Cassidy Turley ranks Indianapolis has one of the five best industrial markets in the nation.Saner referenced the article, saying, “We have the opportunity to be the only shell building with this height from Shelbyville to Cincinnati.”“The longer we wait to move forward with it, the more risk this great opportunity gets to be,” Saner said. “This is not a slam dunk as there is certainly some risk, but we feel the positives outweigh the risks.”District 2 City Council Member Kevin Chaffee told Saner and Martz that he would like to see additional information regarding interest from potential companies and the type of building they are looking for.City council did not pass a resolution and the proposal will continue to be discussed.Saner concluded, “The challenge is reward versus investment. I think it is important to not confuse it with stubbornness, we want to make sure we are doing the right thing. We want this to be the right fit.”last_img read more

Focusing on protecting vulnerable Hoosiers for second half of session

first_imgIndianapolis, In. — The 2019 legislative session reached its halfway point, with Senate bills moving to the House for consideration and approved House bills crossing over to the Senate. This half, I am sponsoring two pieces of legislation that would work to prevent internet crimes against young Hoosiers and support victims of sexual assault.According to the Indiana State Police, the growth of technology has resulted in an increase of crimes against children on the internet. We must do everything we can to protect our children, and this legislation would work to bring additional support to communities that may not be fully equipped to handle these types of investigations.The legislation would establish the Internet Crimes Against Children Fund that would be administered by the Indiana State Police. The bill would allow local law enforcement agencies to apply for grants from this fund to train and equip officers to investigate crimes against children through the internet. My hope is that this grant will enable our law enforcement agencies to take action to better identify and effectively stop these crimes.Unfortunately, horrific crimes span all types of situations, and the processes for testing forensic kits can sometimes take an extended period of time without the victim knowing the status. To support sexual assault survivors, I am working to establish a tracking system for sexual assault kits as they go through the forensic process. Survivors would have the option to receive notification on where their kit is in the process.Additionally, the Victim Services Division of the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute would reimburse hospitals or licensed service providers who administer these forensic medical exams. These crucial updates are imperative to making processes more transparent.We want to do everything we can to ensure the safety of vulnerable children and crime victims. If you have any questions or input on this legislation or others, contact me at 317-234-9450 or [email protected]last_img read more

Hammers turn to old boy Sheringham

first_img The 48-year-old, who scored 147 goals in the Barclays Premier League, has joined West Ham on a part-time basis and will begin work during pre-season. The move comes after manager Sam Allardyce was told by the club’s owners to produce more “entertainment” in the new campaign. “I’m very excited,” said Sheringham, who played alongside Allardyce at Millwall as a youngster. “Sam phoned me a week or so ago and asked me if I fancied it. It was far too good to resist really. “Being a West Ham boy and coming from the area, it fits nicely in all that I’m about, what with working alongside Sam and knowing a few of the players as well. “They’ve got a lot of respect for Sam, they speak very highly of him and to know that’s the case made me want to get involved. “I know the environment, I know everything about West Ham, so it was just too good an opportunity to turn down.” Sheringham hung up his boots in 2008 after a 24-year career that included winning the treble with Manchester United in 1999. After signing for Championship side West Ham in 2004, the striker enjoyed an impressive opening season, scoring 21 goals to fire the Hammers back into the top flight. He went on to score 30 goals in 87 appearances for the club before making his final move to Colchester in 2007. West Ham have taken steps to improve their style of play by appointing former Hammers and England striker Teddy Sheringham as the club’s new attacking coach. Press Association Sheringham will be charged with adding potency to Allardyce’s attack, which scored only 40 goals in the league last season. “Having played as a striker for years, Sam wants me to add something along those lines. Anything I can do to be of help, I’m very willing,” he said. “I obviously know (Andy) Carroll, (Carlton) Cole and Kevin Nolan and I understand there’ll be a few more forward players that I could be working with and alongside to help improve.” West Ham supporters grew frustrated last season with the team’s direct style of play and regularly jeered after underwhelming performances at Upton Park. The fans’ disillusion came to a head in March when they booed after the Hammers’ 2-1 victory over Hull, to which Allardyce cupped his ears in disbelief. Earlier this month, the manager’s position was confirmed but the club outlined a number of “improvements” to be made including a more entertaining brand of football, the recruitment of an attacking coach and more influence from the owners in transfers. Argentinian striker Mauro Zarate became the club’s first signing of the summer on Wednesday. last_img read more

QPR capture Caulker

first_img Caulker has signed a four-year deal after an undisclosed fee was agreed with Cardiff for a player who won his solitary England cap in 2012. The former Tottenham defender completes his move to Loftus Road just days after fellow centre-back Rio Ferdinand also agreed to join the newly-promoted Barclays Premier League club. “I’m very excited to be here. It was important for me to be back playing in the Premier League and (QPR manager) Harry Redknapp has given me the opportunity to be at this fantastic club,” Caulker told www.qpr.co.uk. “Harry was a big factor for me having worked with him at Tottenham. He was very keen for me to join and it was a big plus knowing the manager wants you. “Being able to play with Rio was also a big draw. He has been a role model of mine for many years, along with Ledley King. To have the opportunity to play alongside him was something I felt I couldn’t miss out on. “Our first aim this season has to be to get to 40 points to make sure we stay up. That’s our first goal.” Caulker, an £8million signing from Tottenham for the 2013-14 season, played every minute of Cardiff’s debut season in the Premier League that ended in relegation. The London-born defender made his first Spurs appearance under Redknapp in 2010 and the Rangers boss is delighted the two have been reunited at Loftus Road. “I know the ability Steven has and I think it’s an important signing for the club – for the here and now, and for the future,” Redknapp said. “I had him at Tottenham and I was very surprised when they decided to let him go last summer because I thought he had a big future there. “He’s young and is already a fine player, but he has so much more potential. It’s a really excellent signing for the club. “When good players like Steven become available, who can come in and have a real impact, you’ve got to try and get them. “I’m sure he will come in and show exactly what he’s capable of. He’s got everything to be a top, top centre-half, so I couldn’t be more pleased to have him.” The 22-year-old centre-back has joined Harry Redknapp’s side after just one season at Cardiff, who were relegated from the Premier League at the end of the 2013-14 season. Fernandes said: “I would like to announce the signing of Stephen Caulker to Queen’s Park Rangers. Welcome.” Steven Caulker has signed for Barclays Premier League newcomers QPR, their owner Tony Fernandes has announced on Twitter. Press Associationlast_img read more