Chancellor widens SME emergency loans scheme and relaxes criteria

first_imgHome » COVID-19 support » Chancellor widens SME emergency loans scheme and relaxes criteria previous nextCOVID-19 newsChancellor widens SME emergency loans scheme and relaxes criteriaFollowing criticism of the initial CBILS scheme, it now includes all SMEs and directors no longer have to give guarantees for loans under £250k.Nigel Lewis3rd April 202002,554 Views The Chancellor Rishi Sunak has this morning beefed up the government’s support measures for smaller businesses after severe criticism of his previous announcement last week revealing its Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans Scheme or CBILS.It provides loans of up to £5 million repayable over six years for SMEs that are losing revenue and seeing their cashflow disrupted as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak.Operated through 40 accredited lenders, CBILS was initially offered to those who could not access regular commercial business loans, and many banks were requesting personal guarantees from directors and charging high interest rates.Instead, property industry firms will be relieved to hear, CBILS lending is now available to all SMEs and directors requesting loans under £250,000 will only have to make personal guarantees for 20% of the money borrowed.HM Treasury has also urged lenders to charge ‘reasonable’ interest rates when making credit decisions.Also, HM Treasury had already prevented lenders from insisting that company owners put up their homes to guarantee loans, and it will continue to cover the first twelve months of interest and fees.The changes to CBILS will go live on Monday, 6th April.“We’re pleased that the Chancellor is listening and responding to the real-world concerns posed by firms across the UK who are urgently trying to access financial support,” says Adam Marshall, Director-General, British Chambers of Commerce.Mike Cherry, Chair of the Federation of Small Businesses, says: “Taking on debt at the current time is a daunting prospect for many small businesses and the self-employed.“We look forward to continuing our constructive engagement with government to ensure that debt can be repaid in an affordable way that allows small businesses to recover from this crisis and to thrive again.”Read more about Coronavirus. CBILS FSB Chambers of Commerce coronavirus Rishi Sunak Chancellor of the Exchequer April 3, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Scottish firm opens two shops as sales rise 30%

first_imgWest Scotland-based James Allan Bakers has expanded with the opening of two new shops in Partick and Alexandria.The bakery, based in Torrance, near Bishopbriggs, has experienced a 30% rise in sales this year, enabling it to expand its estate. It now employs 60 staff at its main bakery and 11 retail outlets around the Glasgow area.Managing director Mark Bradford, who took over in 2006, said the last few years had been about “bringing the business back to life” through, for example, rebranding and better presen-tation, which he said had contri- buted to the sales increase.He added the biggest sales boost had been from its Scotch pies, which he put down to the business taking part in the World Scotch Pie Championships. “The promotional benefit from that has worked wonders,” he said.last_img read more

Michigan City lakefront closed for at least a week

first_imgCoronavirusIndianaLocalMichiganNews By Jon Zimney – August 14, 2020 2 348 (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) A northern Indiana city is closing its beaches.Michigan City is closing its public lakefront for a week, beginning Friday, Aug, 14.Mayor Duane Parry made the announcement on Thursday evening.Parry blames “large crowds” that gather on the lakefront. The crowds have not been wearing masks or properly social distancing, he said.The mayor is also extending his existing order to close Washington Park, Fedder’s Alley and the senior center, according to WBBM Radio. Previous articleIndiana’s top doc concerned about surge of COVID-19 after Labor DayNext articleSeveral students at New Prairie High School told to quarantine Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Twitter Google+ WhatsApp Google+ Facebook Pinterest Michigan City lakefront closed for at least a week Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Facebooklast_img read more

S. James Gates named Scientist of the Year

first_imgSylvester James Gates Jr., professor of theoretical physics at the University of Maryland, College Park, was named the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations 2014 Scientist of the Year. Gates was presented a special medal signed by President Drew Faust at the annual Harvard Foundation Albert Einstein Science Conference: “Advancing Minorities and Women in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics.”“The students and faculty of the foundation were pleased to honor Professor Gates with the 2014 Scientist of the year Award,” said S. Allen Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation. “He is a brilliant and creative thinker, and an excellent role model for students of all backgrounds with aspirations for a career in the sciences. Jim is the consummate scientist, who loves physics and is committed to sharing his intellectual gifts with students of all ethnicities, genders and classes.”Gates is the University System Regents Professor, John S. Toll Professor of Physics, and the Center for String and Particle Theory Director at the University of Maryland. He also serves on President Barack Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. President Obama awarded him the Medal of Science, the highest award given to scientists in the U.S.Gates, holds B.S. and Ph.D. degrees Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is a renowned theoretical physicist on supersymmetry, supergravity and superstring theory. Along with co-authors, he produced the first comprehensive book of supersymmetry in 1984.last_img read more

Tuition increases by 3.8 percent

first_imgObserver Staff Report Undergraduate tuition will increase to $44,605 for the 2013-14 academic year, according to a Feb. 13 University press release. The rise in tuition amounts to a 3.8 percent increase over the current cost, an uptick consistent with the previous three years’ tuition rate increases. This 3.8 rate of increase is the lowest since 1960. Including average on-campus room and board rates of $12,512, total student charges for next year tuition will be an estimated $57,117. The release paraphrased University President Fr. John Jenkins’ statement in a recent letter to parents of returning students. “Fr. Jenkins wrote that Notre Dame seeks to return the highest value for the students’ educational investment. He said new resources will help Notre Dame grow in areas such as internships, study abroad programs and undergraduate research,” the release stated. Jenkins pointed to a high four-year graduation rate, average salaries and average satisfaction from post-graduate surveysas metrics proving the tuition to be a worthwhile investment. In the statement, Jenkins assured students the University will make the best use of these funds to continue to offer an excellent education and experience. “We are committed to careful stewardship of the University’s resources so that we may offer your student the best possible educational experience and prepare them well for life beyond Notre Dame,” Jenkins said.last_img read more

Canola prospects bright

first_imgBy Dan RahnUniversity of GeorgiaPaul Raymer’s fields of dreams have canola growing in them all over Georgia. After 15 years of seeing sputtering starts a few acres at a time, he’s convinced it’s on the verge of happening now if it’s ever going to happen at all.”We’ll have a small crop this year,” said Raymer, a crop scientist with the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. “I expect the acreage to continue to grow fairly rapidly if the market opportunities come.”The next year will likely decide the fate of the fledgling Farmers Oilseed Cooperative and Raymer’s vision of a substantial canola crop in Georgia. The FOC will soon begin selling stock in an effort to raise the capital needed to build an oilseed crushing facility in the state.Huge marketThe new crushing plant would be a huge market for Georgia-grown canola. If the plant becomes a reality, Raymer said, so will canola in Georgia.”It’s an ‘if you build it, they will come’ kind of thing,” he said.The problem with growing canola in Georgia has always been the sporadic market. Raymer, who has worked with the crop since the late 1980s, knows Georgia farmers can grow canola.”It’s at least as stable as anything else we grow,” Raymer said. “In the 15 years I’ve worked with canola, I’ve only lost a handful of trials. I’ve lost a lot more corn, soybean and even wheat trials. Canola has been pretty consistent over the years.”The problemThe problem has been finding a market. For the past few seasons, that’s meant shipping it by rail to Windsor, Ontario. Shipping costs leave little room for profit.”For the coming season,” Raymer said, “we’re looking for whole-seed export markets. We haven’t capitalized on the state’s excellent ports.”Such markets would enable Georgia farmers to ease back into the canola-growing business while the crusher is being built.The FOC facility would provide a canola market for farmers throughout the state. “Arrangements need to be made for consolidation points to allow growers statewide a nearby delivery point,” Raymer said. “The co-op board members agree with that in principle, but the details need to be worked out.”‘New’ cropCanola is a relatively new crop, though its predecessor, rapeseed, has been grown for a ground cover, animal forage and its lubricant oil for centuries.In the early ’70s, Canadian scientists bred new varieties with low levels of erucic acid, which makes rapeseed a good lubricant, and high levels of oleic acid, which makes olive oil so good.They renamed the plant canola (for Canada-oil-low-acid). And the crop has taken off. With a myriad of uses, the oil is most popular with health-conscious cooks for its low levels of saturated fats and high levels of monounsaturated fats.The toughest thing about growing canola in Georgia is its narrow planting window. “You’ve got four weeks, from late October to late November, to seed it and get it established,” Raymer said.Glorious viewOnce established, fields of canola become glorious expanses of bright yellow flowers over green foliage in March and April. The seeds can be harvested by late May. That’s early enough for farmers to plant soybeans or cotton after them in a double-crop scheme.Raymer has been breeding varieties for a decade. He released a new UGA variety, Flint, three years ago. Flint is a proven performer, topping the field trials before and since its release.”It has improved cold tolerance, resistance to blackleg (a critical disease in canola)and is well-adapted to the upper coastal plain,” he said. “It provides about a 10-percent improvement in yields over the varieties planted in the mid-’90s.”A new UGA release this year will be available to growers in 2004 (to a limited extent, in 2003). “It’s comparable to Flint in yields and other traits,” Raymer said. “But it matures earlier.”last_img read more

Americans aren’t financially dumb, we just misbehave

first_imgIf you believe the reports, this country has a financial literacy problem.I don’t believe the reports.We have a financial behavior problem. I’m not throwing stones here, because I have behavior problems, too. Our behavior and decision-making abilities tend to ignore empirical data, even when the negative outcome is obvious and known.Take, for instance, smoking. I’m about to tiptoe here, because I’m not trying to get sued by big tobacco. The United States surgeon general states “there is no safe cigarette” and “(the poisons in cigarettes) damage DNA, which can lead to cancer; damage blood vessels and cause clotting, which can cause heart attacks and strokes; and damage the lungs, which can cause asthma attacks, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.”At the risk of being dramatic and speaking in absolutes, everyone knows the “truth about cigarettes.” Do people still smoke? Of course they do. We’re not dealing with a literacy issue, we’re dealing with a behavior issue (and addiction, too). continue reading » 30SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Donald Trump Will Lose Special Twitter Protections in January

first_imgFacebook did not reply to Reuters questions about how it would treat Trump’s account.Biden’s victory on Saturday in Pennsylvania put the Democratic presidential candidate over the threshold of 270 Electoral College votes needed to clinch the presidency. Republican Trump has not conceded and has vowed to challenge the outcome in court.© Thomson Reuters 2020Which is the best TV under Rs. 25,000? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below. Under Facebook’s policies, it appears that after Biden takes office in January, Trump’s posts would also no longer be exempt from review by Facebook’s third-party fact-checking partners.Facebook’s online policy says it defines politicians, whose posts are exempt from fact-checking, as candidates running for office, current office holders and many of their cabinet appointees, along with political parties and their leaders.It says “former candidates for office or former officials continue to be covered by our third-party fact-checking programme.”- Advertisement – US President Donald Trump will be subject to the same Twitter rules as any other user when President-elect Joe Biden takes office on January 20, the social media company confirmed this week.Twitter places “public interest” notices on some rule-breaking tweets from “world leaders” that would otherwise be removed. Such tweets from political candidates and elected or government officials are instead hidden by a warning and Twitter takes actions to restrict their reach.- Advertisement – But the company said this treatment does not apply to former office holders.“This policy framework applies to current world leaders and candidates for office, and not private citizens when they no longer hold these positions,” a Twitter spokesman said in a statement.It has added multiple warnings and labels to tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account, including many since Tuesday’s election that made unfounded allegations of voting fraud. It first hid one of his tweets behind a “public interest” label in May when the president violated the company’s policy against glorifying violence.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –last_img read more

Minister, the industry needs you …

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Hotel occupancy rates fall to as low as 20 percent as coronavirus fears take hold

first_img“We can [even] see it over the last two days. [Hotel occupancy] has taken a battering,” he told reporters after a meeting with the Trade Ministry in Jakarta. “Occupancy rates everywhere have dropped as this is a domestic market problem.”Since news of COVID-19 broke in January, Indonesia’s travel industry has been dealt a massive blow, with mass cancellations of flight and hotel bookings.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Monday that two Indonesians living in Greater Jakarta had tested positive for COVID-19, prompting the government to hold off on its plan to provide incentives to attract foreign tourists.Yet only last week, the government announced a Rp 10.3 trillion (US$742 million) incentive package to boost consumer spending and support tourism. The COVID-19 coronavirus has hit the hotel industry hard with occupancy rates well down on the seasonal average across Indonesia, an industry group has said.Indonesian Hotels and Restaurant Association (PHRI) secretary-general Maulana Yusran explained that the country’s overall occupancy rate had fallen below the regular low season average of 50 to 60 percent to 30 to 40 percent since the outbreak of the coronavirus in China in early January.Occupancy rates at some hotels have dropped as low as 20 percent after Indonesia confirmed its first two cases last Monday. Maulana said Bali, Jakarta, Manado in North Sulawesi and Batam and Bintan in Riau Islands were currently the worst-hit areas. Read also: Indonesia announces $742m stimulus to shield economy from virusAs part of the package, the government had planned to provide Rp 298.5 billion in incentives to airlines and travel agents to boost foreign arrivals to Indonesia and another Rp 443.39 billion in discounts to domestic tourists who visited any of the country’s 10 worst-affected tourist destinations.National flag air carrier Garuda Indonesia, along with its low-cost subsidiary Citilink Indonesia, has already started offering discounts of up to 50 percent for 25 percent of seats on every flight to 10 destinations for the next three months.Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Wishnutama Kusubandio clarified on Thursday that authorities would continue to provide tax exemptions for hotels and restaurants as planned, despite postponing incentives to attract foreign arrivals.Read also: Government delays incentives for foreign tourists after COVID-19 hits IndonesiaThe government announced last week that it would provide support to 10 tourist destinations by not collecting hotel and restaurant taxes for six months. In return, it will grant Rp 3.3 trillion to regional authorities to compensate for losses in tax revenue.”We are now trying to encourage domestic tourism so the hotel industry and other related sectors will not see any layoffs,” Wishnutama told reporters after the Trade Ministry’s meeting.Meanwhile, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) revealed on Monday that tourist arrivals totaled 1.27 million in January, around 5.85 percent higher than the 1.20 million recorded in the same month in 2019. However, the growth rate was much lower the 9.5 percent increase in arrivals seen in January 2019.According to BPS data, the occupancy rate of star-rated hotels stood at 49.17 percent in January, a decline of 2.3 percentage points compared with 51.47 percent in same month last year. BPS will announce February’s tourism data in early April.Chinese tourists made up the second-highest number of foreign tourists visit to Indonesia, after Malaysians, last year. Topics :last_img read more