Two Lankans grilled by Indian authorities

The fishermen were brought from the Puzhal Central Prison in Chennai to Nagapattinam for the joint interrogation and later taken back after conclusion of the detailed inquiry to ascertain the facts of the case, police sources said. The Sri Lankan fishermen had set sail in a fibre boat bearing the number OFRP – A 2672 NNR from Parithithurai near Jaffna when their boat’s engine developed technical snag in the mid-sea. Owing to rough sea condition at that time, their boat strayed into Indian waters about eight nautical miles off Arcot Thurai sea shore. Fishermen of Arcot Thurai who ventured into the sea rescued the two Lankan fishermen in the Indian waters and handed them over to the Indian Navy on October 11. They were handed over to the Vedaranyam Marine police station where the two were inquired and arrested on the charge of entering into Indian water without any documents.A case was registered against them under The Maritime Zones of India (Regulation of Fishing by Foreign Vessels Act), 1981. They were lodged in the Puzhal Central Prison thereafter. (Colombo Gazette) Two Sri Lankan fishermen who were arrested recently after they strayed into Indian waters near Vedaranyam were interrogated by a team of top officials at the Nagapattinam Collectorate on Tuesday, The Hindu newspaper reported.The duo K. Roobadoss (21) and D. Nishanth (23) were interrogated for over an hour by the joint team comprising District Collector S. Palanisamy, Superintendent of Police Abhinav Kumar, a senior officer of the Indian Navy, personnel of State police intelligence units, officials of the Fisheries Department, and the Coastal Security Group. read more

Bath truck crash Haulage boss and mechanic convicted over deaths but driver

first_imgDisaster struck in February last year when the brakes failed on one of Gordon’s 32-tonne lorries as it sped down a steep hill in Weston, Bath, killing four people.Inexperienced driver, Phillip Potter, 20, told the jury he had tried to warn his boss about the faulty brakes, spotting an ABS warning light on the dashboard, but was made to feel stupid for mentioning it and told to “keep on driving”.Moments after the accident claimed the lives of Stephen Vaughan, 34, Phil Allen, 52, Robert Parker, 59, and four-year-old Mitzi Steady, Gordon grabbed Potter and told him: “Don’t tell the police about the ABS light”. It later emerged that the brakes had not been properly safety tested for nine months. Gordon hired Wood – an unqualified mechanic – to carry out mandatory six-week safety tests on his fleet of trucks. This was entirely predictable, the result of poor management and a disregard for the rules and a failure to comply with routine guidelines. It was, put simply, an accident waiting to happenAdam Vaitilingam QC Court artist sketch of (left to right) Peter Wood, Phillip Potter and Matthew GordonCredit: Elizabeth Cook/PA Stephen Vaughan, 34, who was a taxi driver killed by a tipper truck in BathCredit:PA In a statement, Mitzi’s family said:”Mitzi was an outgoing, fun, beautiful girl whose confidence and independence had grown to a new level in the months before she was killed, allowing us to glimpse the girl that she should have become.”Nothing can bring her back and we will miss her every day for the rest of our lives.”Stephen Vaughan’s wife Sian said: “Steve and I did not get nearly enough time together. As heartbroken as I am, I am equally grateful for the life that we shared.”In the last 22 months of complete unexpected hell and the darkest saddest moments of my life, I know how lucky I had been to be Steve’s wife. He was paid £15 an hour to carry out repairs in-house so Gordon could avoid using a more expensive outside mechanic.Wood gave the killer lorry the all-clear three weeks before the crash but prosecutors said the crippling defects would have been obvious to any competent mechanic.Gordon was also said to have put undue pressure on his drivers to speed and use banned routes so they could make more deliveries.Mr Potter said his boss had made him feel “silly and stupid” when he reported an ABS brake warning light which had been flashing on the Scania’s dashboard for days.He was told to “keep on driving” and did not press the issue because he “didn’t want to be a nuisance”. Wreckage at the crash site of a lorry which killed four people on Lansdown Lane, Bath Court artist sketch of (left to right) Peter Wood, Phillip Potter and Matthew Gordon The wreckage of the tipper truck is taken away from the scene Mitzi Rosanna Steady, four, who was killedCredit: Avon and Somerset Police Bristol Crown Court heard how Gordon, whose company made around £500,000 a year, skimped on repair bills and encouraged truckers to drive dangerously so he could maximise turnover.An accident investigator who examined the crashed lorry, which had 441,000 miles on the clock, said it was the worst HGV he had ever inspected.He and Wood were told to expect lengthy custodial sentences after being found guilty of four counts of manslaughter. Mr Potter wept as he was cleared of all charges.The court had heard how the brakes on the Scania truck suffered a catastrophic failure, reaching 250 degrees Celsius after the vehicle was driven at “excessive speed” along country roads. The wreckage of the tipper truck is taken away from the sceneCredit: “On the day I walked down the aisle with Steve, if someone had told me this was to happen and that he was to have been taken away from me, I would have still walked down the aisle; because four years of being part of Steve’s life was more luck and happiness than I could have ever imagined.”When I buried Steve, his body left us but his spirit, his soul and his amazing ability to give is still with us: It lives on in the stories people share of how he touched their lives.”He is missed every day by his family and all those who knew him.”Detective Chief Inspector Rich Ocone, from Avon and Somerset Police, said: “Our investigation revealed a shocking picture of a company culture with complete disregard of safety and maintenance. This was a company with a very casual attitude towards safety.”If there is a message which needs to come from this tragic incident, it is that company owners must adhere to a duty of care to the public. Wreckage at the crash site of a lorry which killed four people on Lansdown Lane, BathCredit:Ben Birchall/PA Wire Stephen Vaughan, 34, who was a taxi driver killed by a tipper truck in Bath Mitzi Rosanna Steady, four, who was killed A haulage firm boss whose defective tipper truck careered out of control killing four people including a little girl, has been found guilty of manslaughter after it was revealed he told the driver to keep quiet about the faulty brakes.In a bid to maximise profits, Matthew Gordon, 30, failed to maintain his fleet of HGV vehicles allowing them to fall into an extremely dangerous state.Peter Wood, the unqualified and incompetent mechanic he hired to maintain the vehicles, was also found guilty of manslaughter. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more