Navy stops 17 people who attempted to head to Australia

Among those arrested are a woman, two small girls and two young boys. The would-be asylum seekers had left from the Negombo harbor onboard the fishing trawler “Vindana 3” on 1st March. The Sri Lanka navy apprehended the migrants on a tip off received by intelligence personnel. The apprehended migrants were taken to the port of Galle with the help of the naval craft P414 and handed over to the police station in Galle for onward investigations.The navy said that there is no means of heading towards Australia using illegal methods as the country is very strict with regard to such migration. The navy today arrested 17 people who attempted to head to Australia by boat, the navy media unit said.Naval crew onboard the ship SLNS Samudura apprehended the 17 people early this morning in the seas 40 NMs off the Galle lighthouse. “However people keep on venturing and losing their hard earned money based on the bogus information given by human smugglers and finally become convicts in the hands of the law. Due to the deployment of Sri Lanka navy’s regular patrols and its strong network of intelligence it is impossible to break the shackles of the navy,” the navy said following the arrest.Australia has in the recent past adopted a policy to turn back any illegal asylum seeker boats which attempts to reach Australian waters. (Colombo Gazette) read more

Man 45 admits spraying No Blacks on door of his African neighbour

In a victim impact statement, Mr Yamba said: “This incident has left me feeling very angry.”The idea someone has the audacity to attack my front door of my home address and target me in this way has affected me in a lasting way.”I’m now constantly on edge and worried about every little noise outside and it has affected my ability to sleep.”My son is very anxious about being alone and I can see this has worried him greatly.”The court heard that Dowd had “exercised his right to silence” in police interview, but the judge asked his solicitor for an explanation for his behaviour.Lorna Wincote, defending, said: “The facts are fully accepted. There’s no issues with regard to any drugs or alcohol, there’s some suggestion of some underlying mental health issue, because there is no other underlying explanation.”The court then heard from an “intervention team” nurse based at the court, who said that, having spoken to the defendant in the cells, there was evidence of issues of depression and anxiety.She also said Dowd “acknowledged a level of compulsivity” and regarded what he had done as a “completely stupid act” without any explanation. A man who daubed “No Blacks” on the home of a family from Africa has been remanded in custody “for his own protection” before he is sentenced next month.Vaughan Dowd, 54, painted the front door of the home of Jackson Yamba, 38, just five days after he moved from a neighbouring block to the same flats where the defendant lived in Irlams o’ th’ Height in Salford, Greater Manchester.After seeing the graffiti as he and his young son, left home, the youngster became tearful and Mr Yamba said the attack had left him fearful and angry.Dowd, who lived close to the Yambas in Irlam Square, covered his face during the attack but was caught by the CCTV installed in the flats and by police checking the record of key-fob entries to the housing association apartment block, Manchester Magistrates’ Court heard.He pleaded guilty to a single count of racially aggravated criminal damage on February 8 and was remanded into custody for sentence on March 21.District Judge Mark Hadfield told him: “I’m satisfied a remand in custody is necessary for your own protection.”Prosecutor Ann Deakin said a possible bail address in south Manchester for Dowd was inappropriate because of the “ethnic diversity” of the area, adding: “There’s a clear risk to the defendant’s safety. “Greater Manchester Police has received complaints from America – that’s how far it’s gone viral about the victims being abused in this way.”The judge said the maximum sentencing powers of a magistrates’ court, of six months in jail, were insufficient to deal with the case.The case only came to light after Mr Yamba, 38, a solicitor who came to the UK from the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2006, tweeted a photo of his front door and complained that no police officers had been to see him after he reported the attack. Jackson Yamba Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. It led to outrage online, and an apology and prompt response to the tweet from Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins.Ms Deakin, prosecuting, told the court the victim and his son were leaving for work and school on the morning of February 8 when they discovered the graffiti.The youngster said: “Daddy, something is written on the door.”Ms Deakin continued: “Mr Yamba looked and saw painted on his brown wooden front door was ‘No Blacks’ twice. This was underlined.”Mr Yamba is described as being shocked and distressed and his son was becoming upset.”The same graffiti was also daubed in the same white paint on an internal communal door and the entry door to the block of flats. Jackson YambaCredit:BBC read more