Sheep on a farm. By Elaine Keogh Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article Tue 1:59 PM KNACKERIES AROUND THE country have closed their gates this morning, according to the chairperson of the Animal Collectors Association. Chairperson Michael McKeever, who has a knackery in Co Louth, said this morning that knackeries are working at a loss.He said that funding from the Department of Agriculture was reduced by over 80% in 2009. Since then, additional costs have been passed onto farmers for the collection of their animals. The Animal Collectors Association (ACA) says it is not viable for the knackeries to continue running at a loss.The Department of Agriculture has been in discussion with the ACA in recent weeks in relation to the operation of knackeries and the Fallen Animal Scheme, according to a spokesperson for the department. “Arising from the discussions, DAFM has made proposals that would further enhance the supports it gives to the important work that knackeries undertake within the agri-sector,” the spokesperson said. “The department seeks to continue our discussions with ACA with a view to resolving this issue.” Animals that have died on farms or animals that are alive but unwell and unfit for human consumption are sent to a knackery. McKeever confirmed this morning that the decision has been taken to close the gates on the 40 or so knackeries around the country.Louth TD Declan Breathnach said “this is part of an ongoing saga particularly with family run knackeries who are making losses.”“The Minister for Agriculture is aware of the situation and I am asking him to intervene before this situation escalates.”“The sustainability of knackeries is in question,” said Breathnach. “They have been trying to sustain an operation that is unsustainable without some form of support.”He added that “there is now an issue of health and safety and danger of spread of disease where animals are left uncollected.” Around 40 knackeries close down temporarily as losses mount “The sustainability of knackeries is in question,” a Louth TD said. 28,849 Views https://jrnl.ie/4803279 25 Comments Share10 Tweet Email Sheep on a farm. Image: Shutterstock/Heath Johnson Short URL Tuesday 10 Sep 2019, 1:59 PM Image: Shutterstock/Heath Johnson
New Delhi: Senior counsel appearing for Nirmohi Akhara, one of the parties in the Ayodhya title dispute case, on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that there was a temple in the inner courtyard of the disputed site. Senior Advocate S K Jain told a bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi that Muslims were not allowed to enter the temple area. Also Read – Shah urges women to shun plastic bags Advertise With Us “There was no mosque there. As per the revenue records, it can be said that the land was in possession of the Nirmohi Akhara,” the counsel claimed. The constitution bench, also comprising Justice SA Bobde, D Y Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and S A Abdul Naseer, is conducting a day-to-day hearing in the Ayodhya title dispute case after the mediation panel failed to achieve an amicable settlement. Also Read – Free bus travel for women gets Cabinet nod Advertise With Us The apex court is hearing appeals against September 30, 2010 verdict of the Allahabad High Court in the case. The High Court in its verdict had ordered equal division of 2.77-acre disputed land in Ayodhya among the Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla. The 16th-century Babri Masjid was demolished on December 6, 1992.