South Carolina Republican representative Joe Wilson’s outburst during President Obama’s speech to Congress on health care. Tennis player Serena Williams’ on-court, expletive-laden tirade. Kanye West’s aggressive—however not altogether unusual—behavior during MTV’s Music Video Awards.They all make good headlines. But the Hallmark Channel, a division of Hallmark Cards, wants to know: Has civilization lost its civility? In an affront to all the vitriol that continually makes up news headlines and TV news programs, the Hallmark Channel has created CelebrityGoodLife.com, a site devoted exclusively to positive news about celebrities—from Hollywood to sports, to politics and beyond.CelebrityGoodLife.com features content from chief correspondent-bloggers Delaina Dixon, who is based in New York, and Daisy Whitney, who is in Los Angeles. The site is live now but is eyeing October 23 for its official launch. With the tag line “Cleaning Up the Red Carpet,” Hallmark is calling the site the “anit-TMZ.” “CelebrityGoodLife.com will bring only positive news to the masses who are tired of the mudslinging,” Hallmark said in an announcement. “Whether the news is love and marriage, children, chivalry, dream home, dream vacation, enlightenment, or benevolent altruism, Dixon and Whitney will shine a light through every sector of show business, putting deserving entertainers in a favorable spot.”How nice! (Earlier this year Hallmark Cards shuttered its flagship Hallmark magazine. According to spurned subscribers, the way Hallmark handled the shut down wasn’t so nice.)A Hallmark Channel spokesperson told me the site hopes to get to at least 50,000 uniques within the first two months and eventually wants to host paid advertising. Right now, the home page looks like an overt plug for Hallmark’s upcoming film, Always Forever, with a large banner ad and a series of five promotional videos at the bottom.It’s true, there is a lot of negative news in celebrity-dom these days. The same can be said for magazines. We’ve made a big effort to post as many positive stories during these difficult times as we can. But the reality is that negative stories get A LOT more reader/user/viewer attention than the positive ones, even on FOLIOmag.com.
News Twitter Meghan Trainor Announces Release Date For Her Next Album ‘Treat Myself’ “No Excuses” and “Let You Be Right” have stoked appetites for more treats to comePhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Jun 19, 2018 – 5:28 pm On June 19 GRAMMY winner Meghan Trainor announced the title and date for her upcoming album — Treat Myself — arriving Aug. 31. Preorders open June 20.First looks, before its title was announced, were provided by the March 1 release of her singles “No Excuses” and the June 4 release of “Let You Be Right.” “No Excuses” reached No. 46 on the Billboard Hot 100 in March. In May Trainor also keynoted ASCAP’s I Create Music Expo, and since June 7 fans have been able to catch her on the musical competition TV series “The Four” as well. https://twitter.com/Meghan_Trainor/status/1009073191828897792 Facebook Meghan Trainor Gets Ready To Treat Herself meghan-trainor-announces-release-date-her-next-album-treat-myself Email As for the album, last December, Trainor became engaged to Spy Kids star Daryl Sabara. Soon after, she told Entertainment Weekly that Sabara and her family members performed on every song from the album.While it seems we’ll have to wait for additional details, Trainor did give a little hint of what to expect: “It’s obviously me being in love and happy,” she said. “And reminding myself to choose happiness and love myself.”Catching Up On Music News Powered By The Recording Academy Just Got Easier. Have A Google Home Device? “Talk To GRAMMYs”Read more
. In a “tit-for-tat” operation, five highly-trained Indian army commandos went some 300 meters across the line of control (LoC) and killed at least three Pakistani soldiers, two days after four Indian Army men, including a Major, were shot dead in a surprise attack by Pakistan, sources said on Tuesday.Defence sources called it a “tactical retaliatory strike”, decided at a local level by the brigade commander. But the sources did not name the battalion that carried out the operation.”It was a short-distance and short-duration operation unlike the surgical strike (last year),” said a defence official, who did not want to be named.The sources said four to five Ghatak Commandos were involved in the operation. Ghatak Commandos are drawn from infantry and trained to carry out covert special operations.”It was a tit-for-tat action… Whatever Pakistan does to us, we will do the same,” the official said, warning that more such operations would be conducted if Pakistani forces continue targeting Indian troops.The sources said the action was taken around 6 p.m. on Monday after some Pakistani military personnel tried to cross over apparently to plant IEDs on the Indian side of the border.They said Pakistani forces belonging to 59 Baloch Regiment had set up a temporary post close to the LoC in Rukh Chakri sector of Rawalakot and “at least three Pakistani soldiers were killed while one was injured”. They said it was possible that the casualty figure may be higher.The incident took place along the LoC in Pooch.The sources, however, didn’t term the action a surgical strike — like the one conducted on 29 September, 2016, when Indian army commandos crossed the Line of Control (LoC) to target terror launch pads inside Pakistan-controlled territory, killing dozens of terrorists and their sympathisers.Since the 2016 Surgical Strike, this is the first publicised incident of Indian soldiers crossing the LoC, though sources said from time to time Indian troops do cross the de facto border to target Pakistani forces.Pakistan army confirmed the death of three soldiers in an “unprovoked heavy cross-border shelling by Indian forces” at Rukh Chakri sector.The incident took place two days after four Indian soldiers, who were part of a patrol party, were killed by Pakistan troops in heavy cross-border targeted firing in the Rajouri sector.On Sunday, two Pakistani snipers, who were trying to target Indian soldiers on the LoC, were killed in Indian firing on the LoC in Poonch and Rajouri districts.The Monday deaths take the Pakistani casualty toll to five in two days.India claims that Pakistan violated the 2003 ceasefire accord along the LoC between the two countries at least 820 times this year.
In this 10 July 2018, file photo, Ever Reyes Mejia, of Honduras, carries his son to a vehicle after being reunited and released by United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Grand Rapids, Mich. Photo: APThe Trump administration said Thursday that it has reunified 364 children ages 5 and older with their families after they were separated at the border, still leaving hundreds to go before a court-imposed deadline a week away.The justice department reaffirmed in a court filing that it has identified 2,551 children who may be covered by US district judge Dana Sabraw’s order. More than 900 are either “not eligible or not yet known to the eligible,” the vast majority of them undergoing evaluation to verify parentage and ensure the children are safe.ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt said he was concerned about the high number of children who have not been cleared for reunification.The administration and the American Civil Liberties Union are due back in court Friday for the fifth time in two weeks as the judge holds tightly to a 26 July deadline for all children to be reunified. He set an earlier deadline of 10 July for dozens of children under 5.The government has identified eight US Immigration and Customs Enforcement locations to reunify children 5 and older, and people have been getting released throughout the Southwest this week.The US Conference of Catholic Bishops and Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service are taking the lead on helping families that have been released into the US The faith-based groups provide food, clothing, legal aid and often money for a bus or a plane ticket, usually for them to join relatives across the country.Annunciation House in El Paso, Texas, has served dozens of families. The shelter’s director, Ruben Garcia, said “the actual reunification process is a logistical nightmare.”On Monday, the judge put a temporary hold on deporting parents while the government prepares a response to the ACLU’s request for parents to have at least one week to decide whether to pursue asylum in the US after they are reunited with their children.
It’s not often that people ask Houston City Council for additional funds, and the Council’s response is, “Are you sure that’s enough?” But that was the case Tuesday, when Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena addressed the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee.“The only real concern that I have with your presentation is that you might not be getting enough, or that your requests are really modest,” says David Robinson who is the Council At-Large Position 2, regarding Pena’s request for an additional $12,830,000 annually.Pena says the majority of that money would go towards replacing outdated equipment.“We really have a basic and ongoing moral and legal responsibility to provide safe and functional apparatus and equipment to our personnel.”Currently the city has 88 fire vehicles in its fleet, and replaces four a year. Pena would like to up that to 10 per year.When it comes to being better prepared for the next heavy rains to hit the city, the Houston Fire Department would like an additional four rescue boats, six “prime mover” vehicles to deploy the boats, and seven more “high water” vehicles, of which the city currently has one.As he reflected not only on how the fire department dealt with Harvey, but in normal day-to-day use, Chief Pena also believes the city must address how it handles 911 calls. “We say we’re going to be at your door in six minutes or less travel time, 90% of the time. In order to do that we have to deploy every available resource. It doesn’t matter if it’s the wrong resource. All we are doing is getting to the door, stopping the clock and then we’re calling additional resources that really are able to take care of the issue. We cannot continue to do that,” he says. Pena would also like to spend $330,000 annually to train an additional 360 field officers in swift water rescue procedures. Currently, Houston has less than 200 trained for situations like Harvey.Fiscal Affairs Committee Chair, Councilwoman Brenda Stardig, thinks it’s not only important to find the funds requested in the next budget, but in all future budgets.“As a native Houstonian I don’t want things changing according to political will, I want things to be predictable and that we leverage our dollars and we continue to do it not on the deferred maintenance plan,” said Stardig, who also thinks there’s a way to protect the funds from politics.“We’ve got a few ideas, I’ve just got it together and get some support and I think we can get it done.” Share