TORONTO – A former federal politician has lost his bid to have his convictions for electoral offences overturned.The Ontario Court of Appeal said Wednesday it is upholding Dean Del Mastro’s 2014 convictions on three violations of the Canada Elections Act.Del Mastro was former prime minister Stephen Harper’s one-time point man on defending the Tories against allegations of electoral fraud.He was convicted of overspending, failing to report a personal contribution of $21,000 he made to his own campaign, and filing a false report during the 2008 election.He was sentenced to a month in jail, but has been free on bail since last year as the appeal process moved forward.Del Mastro has 60 days to decide whether to seek leave to bring his appeal before the Supreme Court.“We are actively considering an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada,” his lawyer, Scott Fenton, said Wednesday in an email.“My client is very disappointed with the Court of Appeal’s decision concerning important matters regarding the proper interpretation of the Elections Act as they impacted his trial,” Fenton said.
Speck’s new kid-friendly iPad case has flexible arms Share your voice 12 Photos Now playing: Watch this: CES 2019 0 Enlarge ImageSpeck’s Case-E is scheduled to ship by March. Speck Remember Speck’s iGuy case for the iPad? Well, he’s evolved into the Case-E, a new iPad case that’s as kid-friendly as a case gets.Due to ship by the end of March, the Case-E costs $40 and has flexible hooked arms you can hold onto or wrap around car seats “for safe viewing on the go,” Speck says. Additionally, the exterior “squishy” layer is BPA free to “put parents’ minds at ease.”The Case-E will be available for the last five generations of 9.7-inch iPad devices and in multiple color options. There’s no word yet on international pricing. 1:07 Mobile Accessories CES 2019: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show.CES schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect. 85 Photos Some of the most anticipated tech for 2019 Post a comment Tags Here are its key specs:6-foot drop protection External EVA foam layer offers a soft, comfortable grip that’s easy to holdBoth sides of the case offer flexible, detachable EVO foam “arms” that provide a secure grip for even the smallest hands Arms prop up your iPad in landscape or portrait mode and can be used to secure the device to a vehicle’s headrest Price: $40 Multiple color options Shipping by the end of March CES Products All the cool new gadgets at CES 2019
. In a “tit-for-tat” operation, five highly-trained Indian army commandos went some 300 meters across the line of control (LoC) and killed at least three Pakistani soldiers, two days after four Indian Army men, including a Major, were shot dead in a surprise attack by Pakistan, sources said on Tuesday.Defence sources called it a “tactical retaliatory strike”, decided at a local level by the brigade commander. But the sources did not name the battalion that carried out the operation.”It was a short-distance and short-duration operation unlike the surgical strike (last year),” said a defence official, who did not want to be named.The sources said four to five Ghatak Commandos were involved in the operation. Ghatak Commandos are drawn from infantry and trained to carry out covert special operations.”It was a tit-for-tat action… Whatever Pakistan does to us, we will do the same,” the official said, warning that more such operations would be conducted if Pakistani forces continue targeting Indian troops.The sources said the action was taken around 6 p.m. on Monday after some Pakistani military personnel tried to cross over apparently to plant IEDs on the Indian side of the border.They said Pakistani forces belonging to 59 Baloch Regiment had set up a temporary post close to the LoC in Rukh Chakri sector of Rawalakot and “at least three Pakistani soldiers were killed while one was injured”. They said it was possible that the casualty figure may be higher.The incident took place along the LoC in Pooch.The sources, however, didn’t term the action a surgical strike — like the one conducted on 29 September, 2016, when Indian army commandos crossed the Line of Control (LoC) to target terror launch pads inside Pakistan-controlled territory, killing dozens of terrorists and their sympathisers.Since the 2016 Surgical Strike, this is the first publicised incident of Indian soldiers crossing the LoC, though sources said from time to time Indian troops do cross the de facto border to target Pakistani forces.Pakistan army confirmed the death of three soldiers in an “unprovoked heavy cross-border shelling by Indian forces” at Rukh Chakri sector.The incident took place two days after four Indian soldiers, who were part of a patrol party, were killed by Pakistan troops in heavy cross-border targeted firing in the Rajouri sector.On Sunday, two Pakistani snipers, who were trying to target Indian soldiers on the LoC, were killed in Indian firing on the LoC in Poonch and Rajouri districts.The Monday deaths take the Pakistani casualty toll to five in two days.India claims that Pakistan violated the 2003 ceasefire accord along the LoC between the two countries at least 820 times this year.
Tuesday, January 31, 2017 Tags: Austria, Technology Share << Previous PostNext Post >> PARIS — An Austrian luxury hotel says it’s ditching electronic room cards for old-fashioned locks and keys after having their systems frozen by blackmail-hungry hackers.The husband-and-wife management of Romantik Seehotel Jaegerwirt, in the Austrian Alps, says that one recent infection with ransom software resulted in the complete shutdown of hotel computers.They say they were forced to pay roughly 1,500 euros (nearly $1,600) worth of electronic currency to restore their network.Several publications incorrectly reported that the ransomware infection resulted in guests being locked into or out of their rooms.In a series of emails, the hotel said Tuesday that the infection only resulted in new guests being temporarily unable to get keys to their rooms.Hotel co-manager Christina Brandstaetter says the new arrivals were treated to champagne while they waited. Luxury hotel ditching key cards after hackers strike Source: The Associated Press