Global enterprise

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

MWB waits on Malmaison bid

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

America’s curfews: controversial, but are they effective?

first_img‘Targeting people’ Jasmon Bailey, a sociologist at the University of Maryland, believes curfews don’t solve the reason for the unrest and can in fact compound the original problem by giving officers extra powers for arbitrary arrests.He says police can use it to selectively arrest more blacks than whites, noting that anti-confinement protesters during the coronavirus pandemic were overwhelmingly white and did not have their right to protest curtailed.Bailey argues that curfews focus attention on the looting, rather than the “racial injustices” that the demonstrators are campaigning against.”It is targeting people… not the system,” he told AFP.Whether curfews are fair, or effective, or neither, one point experts and authorities agree on is that they should be short.A lengthy one could be subject to legal challenges.”It’s the right thing to do for just a few days,” said de Blasio.”5:00 am Monday morning, curfew comes off, I’d like us to never have to use it again.” Widespread looting, arson and clashes between police and protesters led authorities to also introduce ad hoc curfews across a host of other cities, including Washington DC, Los Angeles and Chicago.For Dennis Kenney, an expert in criminal justice at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, part of New York’s City University, a curfew is a “balancing act.””The idea is not to interfere with people’s ability to protest, to demonstrate, to express their frustrations, to have their say,” he told AFP. “But it is to create a tool… so that the police have the ability to intercept them beforehand and prevent them from doing the sorts of activities that we obviously all are opposed to.” New York had not used such a measure since August 1943, when the historically black neighborhood of Harlem was placed under a strict curfew for three days following riots.That rioting was also sparked by police brutality: a white police officer shot and wounded a black soldier called Robert Bandy after he intervened in the arrest of a black woman, according to reports at the time. ‘Inefficient’ As tensions soared over the weekend, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Chicago announced on Saturday that they were introducing the extreme measure of nighttime curfews.Minneapolis, where Floyd was killed and the epicenter of the violence, had already introduced one.Washington DC followed suit on Sunday, with New York announcing its own the following day.Authorities said the curfews were not intended to curtail people’s right to protest — as protected by the First Amendment — but to crack down on violence and looting which was generally taking place after dark.New York Mayor Bill de Blasio — who is white, and whose 25-year-old mixed-race daughter was briefly arrested during a protest Saturday — initially rejected the idea of a curfew.But he reluctantly came round to the idea after two nights of intense looting. After an 11:00 pm to 5:00 am curfew on Monday failed to deter looters, he imposed one starting at 8:00 pm on Tuesday and took the unprecedented measure of extending it until Sunday.”They’re not very efficient,” Kenney said of curfews.In New York, Washington and other cities, hundreds of protesters defied them. In many cases, police opted not to arrest peaceful offenders, for the sake of appeasement.Kenney says police don’t expect curfews to be respected, but they become “an effective tool when the goal is to prevent the protest turning into a riot, or to prevent groups or individuals that are looting.”He says the problem with using it for too long is that “at some point, people begin to feel it is oppressive, that their rights broadly are being violated and the curfew itself becomes something to resist against.”In New York this week, demonstrators have shown what they think of the curfew by chanting profanities about it.center_img Violent protests over the death of a black man in police custody led several US cities to impose curfews, but do they help maintain order or merely further antagonize demonstrators?The demonstrations were sparked by the killing of George Floyd, who suffocated on Monday last week when Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes.America’s worst civil unrest since the 1960s ensued, and saw New York — the fabled “City that Never Sleeps,” already reeling from the coronavirus — impose its first curfew in almost 80 years. Topics :last_img read more

Friday people roundup

first_imgAZL, Mercer Switzerland, Principal Global Investors, Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management, Man Group, Financial Reporting CouncilAZL – Pensions provider AZL has appointed Peter van der Steur as manager of its Integral Board Support business unit. Previously, he was head of client and board relations at provider A&O Services. Van der Steur is a certified pensions lawyer and has a background in marketing and pension fund governance. Separately, Elke Op het Veld has started as manager of AZL’s actuarial business unit. She has been working as a senior actuary at AZL since 2009, when she left pensions adviser Towers Watson, where she had been actuary and senior consultant. She succeeds Audrey Ringens, who had been appointed corporate actuary at chemical and pharmaceutical firm DSM.Mercer – Catherine Schoendorff has been named country leader of the consultancy’s Swiss business. She joined Mercer in 2011 after a decade at Hewitt and headed up its German, Austrian and Swiss administration division. At Hewitt, she was leader of its pension administration business in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland.Principal Global Investors – Andrea Muller has been appointed executive director-head of international distribution, which was previously held by Kirk West. West moves into the newly created role of executive director-head of international, assuming responsibility for all the international offices of Principal Global Investors outside the US, and chief executive of Asia. Muller will assume responsibility for all sales, relationship management and client service activities in Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America. Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management ­– Mihir Meswani and Nicolas Laporte have joined as portfolio managers to strengthen the firm’s hedge fund advisory business. Meswani joins from Mount Yale Capital Group, where he was a consultant, while Laporte was most recently a senior portfolio manager of alternative investments for the British Airways Pension Fund.Man Group – John Cryan has been appointed to the board as a non-executive director. He held a number of senior roles at UBS over a career spanning more than 25 years, including CFO between 2008 and 2011. He was also chairman and chief executive at UBS AG EMEA between 2010 and 2011 and served as chief executive at UBS Limited.Financial Reporting Council – Jim Sutcliffe is to stand down from the board, as well as the chairmanship of the Codes & Standards Committee of the FRC with immediate effect. Nick Land, a member of the board, has replaced him on the committee.last_img read more

Hipages says with coronavirus ramping up, forcing people to spend more time at home, give your home a spruce

first_img 5 PEST CONTROLA total 41 per cent of Queensland and 38 per cent of Australian households have ignored their pest problems, which could include anything, from possums and ants to fleas and termites, making themselves at home in your house. Across the nation, jobs such as concreting (2.3 million), plastering (2.6 million) and carpentry (3.3 million) are often delayed for six months or more.More from newsCOVID-19 renovation boom: How much Aussies are spending to give their houses a facelift during the pandemic3 days agoWhizzkid buys almost one property a month during COVID-197 days agoMr Tucker said for those homeowners with a tight budget it was important to create a plan.“The trick to budget home renovations lies in identifying your needs and finding the most cost-effective solution,” he said.Mr Tucker suggested prioritising the most urgent jobs and obtaining multiple quotes first for those.“When hiring a tradie to help with your home renovations, we recommend sourcing multiple quotes in writing so you can compare costs,’’ he said.“Homeowners can then select a tradie that best fits with their budget and time frame.” 2. Replacing an old shower screen with a modern frameless one can make your bathroom appear larger. 4. For a full kitchen renovation, consider a DIY flatpack kitchen. These are easy to install and offer high-quality materials and fittings. Buyers flock to church conversions What needs to be done around your home?However, Mr Tucker said the delays meant Queensland householders were facing an estimated $5000 on average to have a tradie fix all their outstanding issues.He said it contributed $7.7 billion towards the national value of undone jobs.With coronavirus ramping up, forcing people to spend more time at home, now could be the perfect time to give your home a spruce. Mr Tucker shares the top jobs Aussies like to avoid. 1 CLEANING According to Hipages research, cleaning tops the list as the most avoided job nationally and in Queensland (73 per cent and 72 per cent of households respectively). While most households have multiple cleaning jobs to get done, 64 per cent of these are delayed for a maximum of three weeks, or less. 3. Look into specialty paints purpose-made for surfaces like tiles, laminate cupboards and metal fencing. This will save you money on replacing these features. Brisbane Reno Show postponed 1. A fresh coat of paint is an inexpensive way to brighten a room. Brisbane Roar foundation member sells up 2GENERAL HOME MAINTENANCEGeneral home maintenance also accounts for a large chunk of Aussies’ to-do lists, specifically 67 per cent of households nationally and 62 per cent in Queensland, where there are more than 2000 home maintenance jobs being avoided. 4 PAINTINGIt’s unsurprising that time-intensive jobs such as painting are more likely to be put off, for more than a year for many. This is definitely the case for just under half of Australian (46 per cent) and 41 per cent of Queensland households, who said that painting was lingering on their to-do list. hipages chief customer officer Stuart Tucker. HOME IMPROVEMENTS THAT WON’T BREAK THE BANK Have time on your hands? Beat isolation boredom and get those odd jobs doneLeaky tap in the bathroom? Cracks in your kitchen tiles? Homeowners across the country have collectively ignored 80 million maintenance and repair jobs around their homes in the past year, worth a total of $40 billion. 3 GARDENING Hipages research found that garden maintenance is the third most commonly avoided job with 63 per cent of households avoiding this task nationally. In Queensland there are 1913 gardening jobs being put off for a sunnier day. MORE QLD REAL ESTATE NEWS: Research by Hipages, a website that connects people with reputable tradespeople, showed most Australians (92 per cent) had at least one outstanding job on their to-do list.Hipages chief customer officer Stuart Tucker said 2020 was the year for Aussies to stop delaying these jobs, or it could cost them dearly in the future. “We know there are a variety of factors that delay us completing jobs around the home, whether it be lack of time, expertise or money.” 5. Nothing enhances the appearance of a home more than a beautiful garden. If your garden could use some TLC, hire a gardener to get it back into shape.last_img read more

Barath recalled to Windies squad

first_img Tweet Share Adrian Barath, photo credit: cricket countryADRIAN BARATH has been recalled to the West Indies team for the first Digicel Test against India at Sabina Park, Jamaica starting on Monday.Barath has been out of the West Indies team since he damaged his hamstring on the event of the ICC Cricket World Cup on the sub-continent earlier this year. The Trinidad and Tobago batsman replaces Kraigg Brathwaite who struggled against Pakistan. However, there was no room in the team for opening batsman Chris Gayle. Gayle met with members of the West Indies Cricket Board on Tuesday in Jamaica and was unable to come to a resolution. The WICB met yesterday to decide Gayle’s fate and an announcement is expected shortly.West Indies: Darren Sammy (Captain), Brendan Nash (vice-captain), Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh, Devendra Bishoo, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Fidel Edwards, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons.T&T Newsday 13 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Sharing is caring! Share NewsRegional Barath recalled to Windies squad by: – June 18, 2011last_img read more

Sipalay drinking spree leads to stabbing

first_imgFreddie, meanwhile,surrendered and was detained in the detention cell of the Sipalay City policestation./PN His brotherFreddie, 42, was tagged suspect, it added. The 47-year-oldresident Victor Aprasno sustained a stabbed wound on the back, a police reportshowed. BACOLOD City –A drinking spree turned out to be the last for a man in Barangay Nabulao,Sipalay City, Negros Occidental. According topolice investigators, Victor and Freddie were having a drinking spree around 10p.m. on March 15 when a heated argument ensued between them. The former wasrushed to the Sipalay City Infirmary where the attending physician declared him“dead on arrival.” This prompted thelatter to stab Victor using a bladed weapon, police said.last_img read more

Bill allowing start of classes beyond August now up for Duterte’s signature

first_imgIn the existing law, the start of classes should be between the first Monday of June and the last day of August. House Bill 6895, which amends Section 3 of Republic Act No. 7791, or the “Act to Lengthen the School Calendar from 200 Days to Not More Than 220 Class Days,” was unanimously approved on Thursday in 241-0 voting. The government canceled all classes when the COVID-19 pandemic hit the country, which was placed under lockdown for nearly three months. Quarantine measures have since been eased starting June 1, but schools are still prohibited from physically opening./PN Under the measure, President Duterte can set a different date for the start of the school year in the event of a declaration of a state of emergency or state of calamity, and that the deferment of the start of the school year in such instances shall apply to “all basic education schools, including foreign or international schools.” But President Duterte was quick to reject the plan as he refused to allow classes to resume unless a vaccine against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is developed. Department of Education secretary Leonor Briones has earlier said that they plan to open school year 2020-2021 on August 24 regardless if its face-to-face learning or online class. MANILA – The House of Representatives has approved on third and final reading a measure that ould give President Rodrigo Duterte the authority to adjust the opening of classes beyond August, 2020.last_img read more

Sullivan shows how it’s done

first_img Press Association The 26-year-old turned professional shortly after helping Britain and Ireland win the Walker Cup in 2011 and gained his tour card via the qualifying school later that year, but had to return to the school in 2012 after finishing 145th on the Race to Dubai. He already looks assured of avoiding that fate for the third year in succession with three top-10 finishes meaning he has earned more than 240,000 euros in 2013 – double his total from last season. Rock and Uihlein held a two-shot lead over a group of five players which included 2009 champion Shane Lowry – who was still an amateur when he defeated Rock in a play-off at Baltray – and former Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal. Olazabal won the Irish Open 23 years ago at Portmarnock and his last European Tour title came in 2005, but the 47-year-old insists he is not simply biding his time until becoming eligible for the seniors tour when he reaches 50. Sullivan made the halfway cut right on the mark of level par and after going out in the first group at 7:15am was only one under after 15 holes, but then finished birdie, birdie, eagle at Carton House to card a 67. At five under par he was still four shots behind joint leaders Robert Rock and Peter Uihlein, who had yet to begin their rounds, but was now on course for another good finish in his second full season on the European Tour. center_img England’s Andy Sullivan jumped from a share of last place to just outside the top 10 with a brilliant finish to his third round of the Irish Open.last_img read more

Baggies sign Rondon

first_imgWest Brom have announced the signing of Salomon Rondon for a club-record deal worth around £12million. “I am very happy to be here,” Rondon told the club’s official site. “This is a new opportunity in my career. I can’t wait to be with the other players and to play. “The club showed a lot of interest in me. That’s what is important for a player, what you take into account – and there are expectations of me.” Venezuela international Rondon, who has also played for Malaga and Rubin Kazan, scored 20 goals in 37 games for Zenit last season to tempt Albion boss Tony Pulis to splash out. “He’s got a fantastic goalscoring record in some of the top leagues in Europe and for his country,” Pulis said. “He’s 25 years of age and still to fulfil his full potential. “We hope he hits the ground running, of course, but understand it might take him time to settle. I’m sure our fans will help him and get behind him. “But we feel with age on his side and the prices English clubs are asking for their players, it’s a deal worth doing. “He comes highly recommended. I have spoken to Manuel (Pellegrini) and AVB (Andre Villas-Boas), who have worked with him (at Malaga and Zenit, respectively), and they were full of praise for the lad. We are looking forward to working with him.” The striker has joined the Baggies on a four-year deal from Zenit St Petersburg to become their fifth summer signing. The fee eclipses the £10million Albion, who host Manchester City in their opening Barclays Premier League game on Monday night, paid for Brown Ideye last summer. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more